Performing Small Kitchen Makeovers on a Budget
Renovating a small kitchen is probably one of the most exciting home makeover projects you can do. You don’t need a big budget to transform your kitchen. Even with limited resources, you can improve kitchen functionality, enhance aesthetic appeal, add new energy-efficient appliances, and focus on renovations that will add value to your home.
Here are some insights into performing a small kitchen makeover on a budget:
Have a Comprehensive Makeover Plan
When planning your small kitchen renovation, focus on the priorities first. The goal here is to get a clear idea of what you want and how you’re going to achieve it. Make sure to get advice from experts or friends who are experienced in kitchen renovations.
- What is your budget?
- What small kitchen makeover ideas do you have in mind?
- What design ideas do you want to try?
- What kitchen renovation options do you have?
How to Save on Materials and Labor
When planning a small kitchen makeover on a budget, you’ll want to save as much money as you can. Start by looking at ways you can save on materials and labor. Here are a few ways you can do that:
- Shop around for cheaper kitchen fixtures
- Opt for quality second-hand items at ReUse centers
- Sell old materials and use that money to buy new items
- Use a combination of contrasting styles and finishes
- Consider DIY installation
Affordable Makeovers to Transform Your Small Kitchen
Kitchen cabinets are the highest cost for any small kitchen makeover on a budget. You can either opt for affordable unfinished or prefinished kitchen cabinets or go for cabinet renovation options that will help you reduce the overall cost, such as:
- Changing the finish of the kitchen cabinets for a renewed appearance
- Refacing the cabinets for a fresh look
- Replacing cabinet hardware, such as doorknobs, handles, and others
- Choosing open shelf-cabinets for additional space and appeal
- Installing the kitchen cabinets yourself to save money
Another option for completing a small kitchen makeover on a budget is getting new countertops or refinishing your existing countertops. As we all know, kitchen countertop materials vary widely. There are high-quality stone options like marble, quartz, granite, limestone, and soapstone, but you can also decide to go for the easy-to-install butcher block or solid surfaces like Corian. If you’re not planning to buy any of the stone selections, which can be costly, then opt for laminate countertops.
Laminate countertops are perhaps one of the best small kitchen makeover ideas today. Why choose laminate tops?
- They mimic natural stone countertops like marble, granite, and others
- They’re more affordable than stone countertops – save up to 50%
- Laminate countertops are highly durable, heat resistant, stain-resistant, and scratch-resistant
- They’re more impact resistant than other types of countertops
- There are multiple countertop edge options to suit your needs
- They’re easier to maintain than stone countertops
For small kitchen makeovers on a budget, you’ll want to focus more on functionality and convenience, rather than going all-in and re-designing every kitchen element. This is true when choosing which kitchen appliances and accessories to add to your small kitchen. Instead of going for high-end appliances that may cost you a fortune, consider buying energy-efficient appliances to help make your renovation more cost-effective. If you want to save money when changing appliances, don’t replace everything. Only buy what you need.
Other Makeover Options
Don’t forget to give your walls a fresh coat of paint, add a fancy tile backsplash that covers the wall, and update your kitchen light fixtures with LED lights. If you can’t afford to complete everything at once, you can remodel your kitchen in stages. That way, you have extra time and the project is more manageable.
Visit Our Showroom at Builders Surplus
If you’re looking to buy new prefinished kitchen cabinets for your small kitchen makeover on a budget, feel free to visit our showroom in Santa Ana, CA. At Builders Surplus, we bring you over 21 styles of kitchen cabinets with 50-70 size options, along with laminate countertops and kitchen accessories. Once your kitchen area is perfected, take a look at our bathroom vanities and vanity tops to complete the next phases of your home renovation.